Before you go electric, first define what you want and need from a vehicle. Here’s a checklist of considerations:
- How many miles do you need to cover on a daily basis, and what’s the maximum range you need to cover before you can realistically recharge the EV’s batteries?
- What speed do you need to attain? Is 65 mph fast enough, or do you need to go 85 mph to keep from getting run over on busy expressways?
- Do you encounter any severe-duty conditions, such as very cold weather, potholed roads, or steep hills, in your daily travel routine?
- Are you meticulous enough to faithfully check the electrolyte level in the batteries and top it off with distilled water, or should you look for a vehicle with sealed, maintenance-free batteries?
- Do you have reliable access to an electric outlet where you normally park?