It is difficult to remember all that needs to be done, so using a checklist can be an important part of shutting down your cabin before an extended absence. Here’s an example checklist, used for my Colorado family guest cabin.
• Hot and cold water pipes drained and blown out
• Refrigerator emptied and defrosted
• All propane appliances shut off individually (furnace, refrigerator, range, and on-demand hot water heater), and main propane shutoff on
• DC load breakers off
• AC load breakers off
• Inverter off (unless you want to use the inverter’s search mode function and/or have no AC loads that need to be powered when you are away)
• DC PV breaker on
• Main DC battery breaker on
• Batteries topped off with distilled water
• Mousetraps baited and set
• Insulated window drapes closed
• South-facing window drapes open
• All doors locked
• All gates locked
See you next spring, cabin!