A pump station is really a subset of the overall hot water system. As a result, its efficiency and performance is dictated more by system design and installation, rather than by the brand or specs of the pump station. Nonetheless, some of the key features to pay close attention to are:
- Pump—What is the brand and type of material? Will it be easy to service/replace, and is it compatible with other pump brands?
- Controller—What is the brand and number of sensor inputs and outputs? Is there a display and is data logging available if desired?
- Station components—Should be high-quality brass and properly assembled.
- Extras—What features or options, such as fittings to connect expansion tanks and brackets for mounting on the storage tank or wall, are available?
- Reliability—Are all the parts are in the box and does the system hold pressure?